First up, back to this trim piece that fills the space between the dash and windshield. This is the 3rd time at it, trying different clips, different methods to make it look right....and this time, adjusting the clip receptors to hold the filler trim a little more evenly. Sometimes getting things to look right can be a major PITA!! ;)
Next, I needed to remove the front bumper gain, to get the front plate bracket bolted in behind it:
Of course once I got the bolts out I decided they too could be spruced up a notch, so I resprayed, then cleared them.
I said earlier that one of my favourite parts of a build is the application of the decals at the end. As much as I want to do them earlier, I wait until it's nearly out the door, so they stay perfect looking. The decals make the vehicle look dealership fresh - like the day it was purchased.
Below: The oil breather cap on the valve cover. Behind it you can see the valve cover decal - I need to double check whether it goes on the top or side....
Air cleaner decal:
Early on, a decision was made to buy the Plain-Jane tailgate, without the Chevrolet insignia. It was a for a variety of reasons, owing mostly to availability and cost, so I decided to buy and apply the CHEVROLET decal and see if that was a decent compromise.
After measuring and centering, I applied the letters, each one separately.
As the day winded down I decided to once again run the engine and check the dwell and timing. I can't say it enough - this was the MOST DIFFICULT starting rebuild I have ever come across! The owners sent the long block out for a full rebuild so I have no clue as to what - or if - that has anything to do with it at first. The fogging agent they used was tough to burn off for sure, but that was only part of the problems encountered!
Today however, the truck fires up and now idles nicely at just over 700 RPM. The dwell is a little shy, at 22, so I'll have to adjust that up a titch. The carb now works well - after a rebuild and a re-look. And the fuel pump pumps fuel, but oddly the filter has very little fuel going through it. Normally, these plastic filters look half full, but with this one I can barely see fuel going through it. The oddities of General Motors products! Most importantly, the engine produces good oil pressure and it registers nicely on the original oil-fed gauge.
Next week - after Christmas with the family - I'll be back at some electrical work under the dash and a final polish. Delivery is December 30th!
Don't forget to check out the website at www.E-tekRestorations.com !